If you’re looking for a mid-day pick-me-up that will keep you satiated longer, this recipe is for you. Chocolate, banana, and coffee are some of the best combinations of flavors. The caffeine will give you an energy kick while the banana adds some natural sugar and richness to keep you satiated. This chocolate banana coffee smoothie has become my go-to snack working from home and could even work for breakfast.
Please note this post contains affiliate links. There is no difference in price if you decide to purchase, but note that I will receive a commission.
The only equipment you need: Nutribullet or high powered blender
As a wedding gift we received a Nutribullet and it has been a gamechanger in our home. Living in a small one-bedroom apartment with limited space, we are really particular about our appliances. The Nutribullet is the perfect size, easy to clean, affordable, and strong. It’s my first “powerful” blender and I’m a total believer. It works really well with frozen fruit or vegetables and ice, and I’ve even made celery juice with it (that’s a recipe for another time). If you are in the market for a new blender definitely consider the Nutribullet, it might be one of the best wedding gifts we received.
Main Ingredient Tips
There’s not much you need for this smoothie. The best of both worlds: simple and delicious.
- Banana: Make sure the banana that you use is ripe (the darker the better) and preferably frozen. If it’s not frozen add a few more ice cubes. Depending on the ripeness of the banana, and your sweetness preference, you might want to add an additional sweetener.
- Milk: I love Oatly oat milk. It’s the best non-dairy milk I’ve ever had, and even my husband who normally hates plant-based kinds of milk loves it. The below calorie count is using Oatly low-fat milk.
- Iced Coffee: Feel free to brew your own iced coffee or if you’re like me (too lazy to make coffee or don’t drink it often enough to have on-hand) try Starbucks unsweetened iced coffee.
- Sugar: Even though I am not a huge fan of sweet smoothies I found 1/2 tbsp of coconut sugar to be perfect to balance the unsweetened cocoa powder and coffee.
Looking for an easy caffeinated drink without coffee? Try my matcha latte recipe which I have almost every morning.
Optional Healthy Supplements
If you want to add some healthy supplements try unflavored collagen or protein powder. Recently I’ve been taking NeoCell Super Collagen Powder and I’ve been really liking it. It’s flavorless, you won’t notice a texture difference, and it’s been fine with my stomach (which can be sensitive to health supplement powders). I’m working on taking it consistently, and I’m really loving the extra protein and collagen boost it adds to smoothies.
Chocolate Banana Coffee Smoothie
- Nutribullet or high power blender
- 3/4 – 1 full frozen banana
- 1 cup milk oat or plant based milk if available
- 1 cup iced coffee
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 2-5 ice cubes add more if not using frozen banana
- 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar or sweetener of choice optional based on sweetness preference
- 1 scoop unflavored collagen or protein powder optional
- Add all the ingredients to blender. If needed, add more ice or liquid.
- Blend for a minute until smooth. Taste and add sugar (or other sweetener) based on how sweet you'd like it.
I would love to know your thoughts on this smoothie. Feel free to rate or leave a comment!